Purpose: To provide currently certified Lifeguards updated knowledge and skills to recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. To provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Must be currently certified American Red Cross Lifeguard. Able to pass the following prerequisite swim skills on the first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breastroke or a combination of both.
- Swimming on the back or side is NOT allowed. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water swim 20 yards. Face may be out of the water. Goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive feet or head first to a depth of 7 - 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
Course length: 13 hours