COVID-19 Club Protocol
Active & Safe
The Thoreau Club is committed to meeting or exceeding the best practices for COVID-19 Protocol as set by the International Health, Racquet, and Sportsclub Association (IHRSA). The club has taken the following COVID-19 mitigation steps, while recognizing that some specific aspects may change as new research and science emerges, we will adapt accordingly.
The Thoreau Club will follow the CDC and DPH Guidelines as well as other safety protocol. All staff have been trained in the CDC protocol, including social distancing, use of face coverings, personal hand sanitation and cleaning protocol that is expected of staff and of our members.
To facilitate a safe and healthy working environment for our staff and our clients, we have established the following criteria:
Click Here for Downloadable PDF Club Hours Download Our App
General Operating Protocol
- All staff and participants are expected to perform a health self-check prior to arriving at the Club including:
• Take your temperature. Your temperature must be below 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Check for flu like symptoms, including sore throat, fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, muscle or body aches and congestion or runny nose.
• New loss of taste or smell.
• If you exhibit any of these symptoms, please do not come to the Club. Contact your health provider.
- All participants will be required to check-in with Member Services upon arrival. To the maximum extent possible, Member Services is a touch-free zone. Please have your membership card ready to self-scan.
- All persons, including employees, customers, and vendors should remain at least six feet apart to the greatest extent possible, both inside and outside the clubhouse.
- Personal hygiene will be strictly enforced including remaining home if you are ill, vigilant hand washing and sanitization, coughing or sneezing into a tissue and properly disposing, wearing your face covering and not touching your face, etc.
- Face masks are required for all Thoreau employees until further notice.
- Face masks are required for all indoor participants until further notice, with the following exceptions.
• Face masks should not be used when in the swimming pool.
- Face masks are NOT required for playing singles tennis or for members of the same household. Masks are not required if players can consistently maintain 14 feet of distance from others on the court. If you cannot maintain 14 feet of distance, please be prepared to mask up.
• Face masks are required for doubles tennis.
- Face masks are required when breathing heavily on a piece of cardio equipment or in a group exercise class. Social distancing of at least 14 feet should be maintained. Floor markings are at least 14 feet apart.
- Housekeeping staff will provide regular sanitization of high touch common surfaces and areas, such as equipment, screens, workstations, doorknobs, elevator buttons, handles, restrooms, counter surfaces, etc., throughout the Club, throughout the day. However, not all surfaces will be cleaned prior to being contacted by another user. Use of the facility is at your own risk.
- Elevator use will be limited to one rider at a time.
- Steam rooms, saunas and whirlpools will remain closed until further notice.
- We recommend that you arrive at the Club ready to participate in your chosen activity and plan to leave the club after your activity.
- Water fountains in the clubhouse and tennis courts will not be available until further notice. Please bring your own drinking water. Water will be available through the vending machine.
- There are multiple cleaning and sanitation stations throughout the building, tennis courts and pool area including hand sanitizer, tissues, open top trash cans, equipment wipes and instructional signage.
- Ample signs have been added throughout the facility to provide instruction and reminders of the CDC Guidelines
Swimming Pool Protocol
- No more than 1 lap swimmer per lane. Reservations for swim lanes are required and may be made through the Club app. Using the app will guarantee your swim lane for you.
- Seating has been limited in the pool bubble to provide for social distancing.
- Please practice social distancing and remain at least 6 feet from any other individual, other than members of the same household while in the water, on the pool deck, in the restrooms or in the shower spaces.
- Indoor pool users and staff are required to sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the pool area. Hand sanitizer and Sani wipes are available at the entrance to the pool bubble and stationed within the pool area.
- Please do not share equipment such as personal floatation devices, (PFD's), masks, snorkels, noodles, kick boards, etc.
- Please be sure to use the Sani wipes to sanitize your deck chairs both before you sit and after your use.
- Organized events such as games are not permitted.
- Upon completion of your time at the pool, please sanitize your hands and leave the property.
- The pool will not be accessible for general use during the Sharks Swim Team practices due to current Department of Public Health requirements. Please refer to the pool schedule for available swim times.
- Steam rooms, saunas and whirlpools will remain closed until further notice.
View Pool Schedule
- Reservations are required for all tennis programs.
- Please check in with Member Services upon arrival and proceed directly to your court.
- No more than 4 players per court.
- Please practice social distancing and remain at least 6 feet from any other individual.
- Players will be expected to supply their own tennis balls, available for sale at the front desk. A magic marker will be available to allow each player to initial their tennis balls and players will be encouraged to only pick up their tennis balls.
- Players and coaches are required to sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the tennis court. Hand sanitizer is available at the entrance to each tennis court area.
- When changing sides of the court, please cross the court at opposite ends of the net.
- Please do not congregate between matches and be sure to maintain social distancing.
- Please do not enter the court area until other players have exited from your court.
- Following a lesson, please push the tennis balls to the net where they will be picked up by the tennis coach with a ball hopper.
- No shaking of hands pre- or post-match.
- Face masks are NOT required for playing singles tennis or for members of the same household.
- Face masks are required for doubles.
- Please do not share equipment such as racquets. Sani Wipes are provided at the entry to each court area to clean any equipment.
- Tennis coaches will have their own basket of tennis balls for their lessons.
- Upon completion of your tennis, please sanitize your hands and leave the property.
Fitness & Group Exercise Protocol
- All group exercise and fitness participants will be required to reserve a space for every instructor lead group exercise class. All studio classes are limited to 9 participants until further notice. Reservations may be made through the Club app.
- Fitness center and group exercise class participants are required to sanitize any surfaces touched during your participation. Sani Wipes are provided throughout the fitness centers and within the studio. Please clean the surfaces thoroughly. Failure to do so can result in suspension of your participation.
- We have removed, relocated, or restricted access to several pieces of fitness equipment, including the spin bikes and Club furnishings to provide for appropriate social distancing.
- Certain equipment will not be available in group exercise classes including yoga mats, blocks, and blankets.
- Please practice social distancing and remain at least 6 feet from any other individual, other than members of the same household, while transitioning the Club or exercising.
- Please remain at least 14 feet apart from other individuals if you are exercising and breathing heavily.
- Spaces have been marked within the group exercise studio for proper placement to accommodate social distancing of 14 feet. Please remain as close to the marked locations as possible during class. Blue markers are for instructor led classes. Red markers are for Fitness On Demand virtual classes.
- Face coverings are required while exercising within the fitness center.
- Face coverings are required when breathing heavily on a piece of cardio equipment or in a group exercise class. Social distancing of at least 14 feet should be maintained. Floor markings are at least 14 feet apart.
- Face coverings should NOT be worn while in the water classes.
- Fitness center and group exercise users and staff are required to sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the fitness center or studio spaces. Hand sanitizer is available at the entrances to these spaces and are located throughout the fitness centers.
- When transiting from the front desk please enter the fitness center through the swinging door to your right as you enter. Please exit the fitness center through the swinging door to your right as you exit. (Opposite sides.)