The following Policies and Practices of The Thoreau Club may change at the discretion of management, with or without notice. This document supplements additional information posted within the Club, on our website, and within individual departmental literature, etc.
These policies and practices are for the safety and satisfaction of all our members. Your cooperation is appreciated. Please be careful, use the facilities safely, and have fun.
1. All members and guests must check-in at reception. All guests are required to complete appropriate registration
forms and present a picture ID.
2. Members are responsible for utilizing only the facilities that their membership type allows and ensuring that their guests do the same.
3. Shirts and proper footwear are required in the facilities. The only exceptions are the pool and the locker rooms.
4. Tennis shoes and shirts are required.(No dark soled shoes please)
5. Swimsuits (no thongs) are required for use of the indoor and outdoor pools. 6. Athletic clothing and athletic footwear (no "street" shoes, sandals, or black-soled sneakers) are required in the fitness centers and exercise studios. Please leave large bags and personal items in your vehicle or in a locker.
7. Cell phone use is only permitted in the lobby or one of the many seating areas throughout the Club.
8. Parents are responsible for their children at all times. Juniors may use the Club when conducting themselves properly. Failure to do so will result in loss of Club privileges. Cooperation of parents is requested to preserve the atmosphere of the Club.
9. Children under age 12 must be in a program, in Kaleidoscope, or supervised by an adult.
10. Kaleidoscope is available for children ages 3 months through 11 years.
11. Children 36 months and older must use the gender-appropriate locker room or Family Changing Room.
12. Smoking and the use of illegal drugs are not allowed on The Thoreau Club property.
13. Members and guests are responsible for their own personal belongings and vehicles. We recommend not bringing valuables into the Club. The Thoreau Club is not responsible for loss or damage to your property. Please secure and do not allow your valuables to be visible within your vehicle.
14. Bicycles are to be parked in the bicycle rack outside; we recommend that they be locked.
15. For private sessions and spa services, please arrive up to 15 minutes prior to check-in time. Late arrival will determine the length of your session so that we can respect the start time of our next appointment.
1. Private Sessions/Programs/Spa Services/Tennis Courts - Cancellations must be made a minimum of 24 hours in advance to avoid being charged for the session.
2. Cycle - A no-show fee of $10 may be applied to any reservation that is not canceled within two hours of the start time.
1. Kaleidoscope is available for children three months through eleven years to provide supervised play in a safe and fun atmosphere while adults enjoy the use of the facilities and is limited to two hours per visit.
2. All parents or guardians must remain on Club premises while their children are being cared for in Kaleidoscope.
3. Your child will not be accepted to Kaleidoscope if he/she is ill. Please respect other children who are healthy by keeping your ill child at home. If your child is placed on antibiotics for an infection, they may return to Kaleidoscope 24 hours after the first dose is given.
4. If your child becomes ill, unhappy, or unmanageable for more than 10 minutes, we will call you to Kaleidoscope. (Please advise Kaleidoscope staff if you would like us to notify you sooner.)
5. Parents must inform Kaleidoscope staff of any medical information needed while their child is in Kaleidoscope (e.g., allergies or special needs).
6. Pack a small snack and drink for your child's visit to Kaleidoscope. Mark all bags, bottles, and cups with your child's name. Please do not pack snacks with nuts (especially peanuts) due to other children's allergies.
7. Bringing toys from home is not recommended. Thoreau is not responsible for breakage or loss.
8. We require all parents or guardians to sign children into and out of Kaleidoscope.
9. If the parent or guardian dropping the child off is not the intended pickup person, see Kaleidoscope Staff for Pick-up Pass Information.
10. Children must wear closed-toe shoes or sneakers for Kaleidoscope outdoor activities. No sandals, clogs, crocs, or sling backs are permitted in the outdoor play area.
11. For the safety of your children, parents may not go beyond the check-in area while Kaleidoscope is in operation.
12. Children of crawling age and older must wear socks while in Kaleidoscope.
FITNESS CENTER & GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES
1. Completion of a health history questionnaire and orientation is requested of all members and guests prior to first use of the Fitness Center.
2. We strongly recommend that you begin class on time and stay through the cool down portion. Neglecting to warm up or cool down properly can result in injury and/or muscle soreness and is especially disruptive to other participants. Please let your instructor know if you have any medical issues (i.e., injury, pregnancy) or concerns.
3. Children under 12 may not be in the Fitness Center, even with a parent, unless they are with a Thoreau Staff Member. You must be at least 12 years old to use the Fitness Center on your own and to participate in Group Exercise classes. Anyone 12 to 16 years of age must complete a fitness center orientation before using the facility.
4. Please wipe down the strength and cardio machines after use. Please return the free-weights and plates as a courtesy to the next member and please do not drop dumbbells.
5. Spring collars are required for all Olympic lifting.
6. Please work together with fellow members and share machines between sets.
7. Please use spotters when lifting heavyweight. The staff is happy to help!
8. To ensure a comfortable environment please be courteous and respectful to members and staff.
9. No talking on cell phones while in the fitness center.
10. No filming or taking pictures of other members in the fitness center or anywhere else on Club property.
11. Proper athletic attire is required.
12. Sneakers must be worn at all times. No bare feet, socks, or sandals.
13. Please be sure to return the equipment to its proper location.(i.e., Dumb Bells, Kettle Bells, & Olympic Plates)
1. HAZARD – NO GLASS ON ANY OF THE POOL DECKS PLEASE! GLASS BREAKAGE WILL RESULT IN POOL CLOSING AND MAY HAVE TO BE DRAINED TO BE PUT BACK INTO SERVICE.
2. You must take a thorough and cleansing shower before entering the pool.
3. All children under 12 must be accompanied by someone 16 years or older.Parents must be in the water with their toddlers and non-swimmers, including the shallow areas. This includes non-swimmers using a noninflatable flotation device.
4. Any child who does not show competent swimming skills will be restricted to the shallow end.
5. The lifeguard's duty is to maintain a safe environment at the pool. If a guard must speak repeatedly to a child regarding an infraction, the parent or guardian will be asked to get involved and the child may be asked to leave.
6. Prohibited activities include running, pushing, horseplay, shoulder riding, or excessive noise at the pool or in the locker rooms. Water guns, underwater torpedoes, and hard balls are not permitted; the use of a soft ball is allowed at the discretion of the lifeguard on duty.
7. Kickboards are available only for Thoreau Club swim lessons and lap swimming.
8. No inflatable toys, rafts, or swimming supports are allowed in the pool, this includes items such as water wings, floaties, or inner tubes. Inner tube bathing suits must have a safety strap.
9. Any person having an infection, or communicable disease is prohibited from using the pool.
10. Unsanitary personal practices (spitting, spouting water, etc.) are not permitted in the pool.
11. No food, drinks, or chewing gum allowed on the pool deck or in the bubble. Please eat or drink only at the tables and/or grassy areas. NO GLASS CONTAINERS PLEASE!
12. Music players may be used only with headphones.
13. Children who are not yet toilet-trained must wear a swim diaper, rubber pants, and bathing suit in the pool.(For your convenience, swim diapers are available for purchase at Member Services).
14. Please do not sit, stand, or hang on the lane lines.
15. In the event of thunder or lightning, the pool and pool area will be cleared for a minimum of 30 minutes from the last sound of thunder or flash of lightning and opened at the discretion of the lifeguard or Aquatics Director.
16. You must have a Swim membership or be participating in a pool program to use the pool and to access the other poolside activities such as the Poolside Café and play areas.
17. Swim lesson credit for summer classes will be given only if The Thoreau Club cancels lessons due to thunder, lightning, or inclement weather.
1. Use of the Whirlpool Tubs is restricted to adults 18 and over.
2. You must have a Swim membership to use the Whirlpool Tubs. SAUNAS / STEAM ROOMS 1. FIRE HAZARD. Drying of clothing is not permitted in the Sauna! 2. The use of Saunas and Steam Rooms are restricted to adults 18 and over.
3. Please wear a swimsuit or use a towel to sit on.
4. No food or drinks allowed.
5. Please remove all your belongings when you leave.
6. Footwear is suggested.
7. Please do not pour water on heating elements in sauna, it is a dry unit.
8. Please, no aroma therapy.
1. Lockers are available for summer and annual rental. The Thoreau Club sells locks, or you may bring your own.
2. Daily use lockers are available on a first-come/first-served basis. Locks must be removed each day or be subject to being cut off with contents going to Lost and Found.
3. As a family Club, we ask that you cover up during extended periods of grooming (e.g., shaving, blow-drying).
1. Reservations can be made using our app up to seven days in advance for a maximum of 1½hours. The same players may not reserve two or more consecutive blocks of time.
2. Please check-in for all reservations to avoid a $15 "no show" fee in summer or full fee in winter.
3. In the event of thunder or lightning, outdoor tennis play will be stopped for 30 minutes from the last sound of thunder or flash of lightning.
4. Use of courts for purposes other than tennis is prohibited.
5. Adults viewing tennis on the court must have permission from the players and be seated quietly.
6. Infants and children under 12 years old are not allowed on the courts while the parents are playing tennis. They must be in Kaleidoscope or supervised by a babysitter.
7. No food or drink (except water) on courts – they stain the courts.
8. Tennis balls are available for sale at the Front Desk. Tennis balls are provided free for instructional groups and programs only.
9. When bubbles are up, please close the revolving doors tightly.
10. Ball machines are available for your use at no additional charge and may be reserved on-line. Players must be at least 12 years of age unless accompanied by an adult. Members are responsible for collecting all the tennis balls when they are finished. Further directions can be found at the Member Services Desk. Please leave your court clean for the next players.
LOST AND FOUND
1. Items found on Club property will be placed in the lost and found trunk outside of the ladies' locker room.
2. Unclaimed items will be donated to or when the volume exceeds the capacity of the storage bin. 3. The Thoreau Club maintains no liability for lost, stolen or misplaced items.
1. On weekends, please call the Club 1½ hours prior to the start of your program to check for cancellations or check the website.
2. For programs commencing on weekdays at 10:30 am or later, a decision will be made 1½ hours prior to the start time. Please call ahead or check the website to avoid inconvenience.
3. Snow credits will only be given when the Club cancels a program.
1. If you would like to make a change to your membership, contact Member Services as some restrictions and fees may apply. Changes must be made by the 15th of the month for any changes to take effect in the following month.
2. The Thoreau Club provides a Membership Hold option designed to accommodate today's busy lifestyle. You may freeze your membership for up to 4 months for any reason, during each calendar year. Monthly membership dues are temporarily suspended, or prepaid member's renewal date is extended. During the hold period, in order to keep your membership continuous, we reduce your membership fees to $15 per month. A youth membership can be on hold for a maximum of 2 months.
3. Members have the right to terminate their membership in certain specified circumstances associated with (15- Day advance notice):
a. Significant physical or mental disablement of the buyer, including special medical considerations. b. When the buyer's residence or employment changes to a location more than 25miles from the Club.
c. The death of the member.
4. The Thoreau Club has the right to terminate your membership agreement when one or more of the following circumstances apply:
a. Non-payment of membership dues or other fees or charges.
b. Behavior that detracts from the enjoyment of the Club by other members and staff. Such decision is at the sole discretion of Club management.
c. Violation of Club privileges or policies.
d. In the event, The Thoreau Club terminates your membership, any credits owed to you (including unused pre-paid program fees) will be applied to any outstanding balance due, and any remainder will be refunded.
5. Children under the age of three are included in the parents' membership. This allows use of the area of the Club indicated by the parents' membership. Please provide us with the name and date of birth of any children under the age of three, as they must be listed on the parent's membership before using the Club.
1. Summer Membership includes access to the entire Club! Including outdoor pools, splash park, tennis courts, fitness center & group fitness classes from Memorial Day weekend until Labor Day.
2. In order to enjoy Summer at Thoreau, you must have swim as part of your membership by February 1st. If you would like to add swim after February 1st, you will need to pay for a full-year swim membership upfront. This membership cannot be put on hold.
3. Summer Membership are non-refundable and cannot be prorated.
1. 'Family' Membership Type: A babysitter may come to the Club and substitute for one or both parents on a family membership. Babysitters must be at least 16 years old and must be identified in the notes of the membership record.
2. One live-in Nanny/Au Pair may be listed as a member on the family membership and is entitled to all benefits associated with that family membership..
3. For grandparents who live locally, our babysitter and/or standard guest policy applies.
4. Non 'Family' Membership Type: The Thoreau Club's guest policies apply to for babysitters, grandparents, au pairs, and all other non-member guests.
1. Please register all guests prior to using the facilities.
2. Guests must be accompanied by the member and are limited to the areas included in their host's membership.
3. Members maintain responsibility for their guests.
4. Guests will be required to complete appropriate registration forms, provide photo identification and may be asked to see our membership staff.
5. For each membership, there is a limit of five guests at one time. Each guest is limited to five visits per 12-months and guest fees apply ($10 for ages 3 and over; children under age three are complimentary).